The original hotel was established in Lambie Street around 1858, less than twenty years after settlement in Cooma first commenced in 1839. Early settlement concentrated in and around Lambie Street which became the focal point of community activity at the time.
In 1986 several alterations were made to the exterior of the Royal Hotel. Stonework repair involved the steam cleaning and repointing of the front of the hotel's granite stone work. Replacement of lacework was undertaken with a loyalty to the original style.
In 1988 a Permanent Conservation Order was placed on the Royal Hotel.
Bundy's Royal Hotel is a large two storey hotel with outbuildings all constructed of dressed freestone and build in 1858. It is of simple Georgian style with a late Victorian cast iron decorated verandah and balcony on the street corner and 4 large decorative gables added to the early hipped roof. The two storey wing facing Lambie Street retains its original rolled iron roof and Georgian style 12 paned windows. The building is generally in good order apart from the main bar areas which were altered slightly in the 20th century.
Bundy's Royal Hotel and its outbuildings consist of a stone terrace, a 2-storey house, 2 storey terrace, a brick cottage and semi detached cottages. As a group, they collectively exhibit valuable sandstone architecture which provided an outstanding entrance to one of the most interesting historical and architectural streets of Cooma.
The semi detached cottages exist as a pair of Victorian semi with Gothic influences. They rest on stone foundations having bay window fronts, scalloped fretwork gable barges and timber and iron verandahs. Face brick walls relieved by painted stuccoed toothed quoins, door and window reveals and bay window spandrels. Verandah balustrading and stair handrails require a little TLC but otherwise, the building is in near original condition.
The brick cottage that also forms part of the outbuildings is a neat vernacular residence which preserves the 19th century integrity of the housing group between Tumut Street and the Highway.
A number of significant elements of the bulidings original fabric are still intact.